Thursday, November 15, 2012

Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books


Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books

Written by: Kay Winters

Illustrated by: Nancy Carpenter

Simon & Schuster Books for Young Children, 2003

37 Pages

Nonfiction Book

     I choose this book, because I loved the illustrations on the cover.  I thought it might be a good book to use to teach students about Abraham Lincoln.  The book is a biography of Abraham Lincoln’s life.  It is told in a very simple, kid-friendly way.  I even learned a few things that I did not know about Lincoln.  It begins with Lincoln’s first years in Kentucky.  It says that he really enjoyed school and learning.  Then, it goes on to talk about how his family moved to Indiana.  After they moved, Lincoln could not go to school, because his father needed him to help work.  But, as the time passes on, he gets tired of it.  He decides that he has larger dreams than what he could have in Indiana.  Lincoln decides to move, and begins reading about the law.  Before long, he was a lawyer; after that, he got into politics, which led him to his presidency.  

     I love the pictures in this book.  They are done by the same artist that did the Apple to Oregon.  She uses oil paints, like she did in the other story.  The artist also uses details in this book that helps the reader visualize what is happening in the story.   I love the way she portrays the people that live in this time frame. Her painting is very unique.  I also really liked the way that she uses two page spreads in her work. The illustrations are almost like a short film.  It’s almost like the book is broken into different scenes.  This makes it really simple to understand.

     I think would use this story to teach my students about Abraham Lincoln.  It could also be used to teach students that it is important to always follow your dreams. I love the way that the story is told.  It would be a great read aloud to do near Lincoln’s birthday.  It would also be a good book to use to teach an integrated lesson. I would definitely have my students do some type of writing with this, such as having them write some facts about Abraham Lincoln or have them write about their favorite part.  I think the book is most appropriate for second through fourth grade.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment