Thursday, November 15, 2012

What Can You Do With a Rebozo?


What Can You Do With a Rebozo?

Written by: Carmen Tafolla

Illustrated by: Amy Cordova

Tricycle Press, 2008

20 Pages

Multicultural Book

     I chose this book because its title interested me.  I thought the only thing a rebozo was used for was to wear as an item of clothing.  I also loved the colors in the illustrations on the cover.  The book is about a girl who tells what all a rebozo can be used for in her culture.  She explains how it can be worn over a dress, like her mom wears it. The girl also goes on to explain how her sister wears hers in her hair.  Another way that the girl in the story says a rebozo can be used for is a blanket to keep warm; that is the how her grandma uses hers.  The girl also says that a rebozo can be used to clean up a spill.  Then, she says it can also be blindfold at her birthday when she tries to hit a piƱata; but, at the end of the story, the girl explains that her favorite thing is to use her rebozo to dance!

     I absolutely love the illustrations in this book.  The artist used acrylic paint, which turned out beautiful.  I also like the colors she uses; they are very vibrant.  In every illustration, she emphasizes the rebozo by outlining it with a brighter color, or making the rebozo a darker color and the background a brighter color.  The pictures go along great with the story.  The illustrator makes it easy to understand all the different ways the rebozo is used and what it looks like.  Overall, the artist does a fantastic job portraying the Mexican culture through her illustrations.  I think the acrylic paint was an excellent choice for illustrating this book, because of the colors.

     I would use this book to teach Mexican culture.  I would begin by explaining what the word rebozo means in Spanish.  I could have my students write about three different ways the rebozo was used in the story or how they would use theirs if they had one (or have one).  Then, I would have them illustrate what they wrote. I could also have my students write about their favorite part of the story, and they could also draw a picture to go along with their writing. I think it would also be a great book to teach students how all cultures have similarities.  One thing I would do is have my students write about two things that happened in the book that they have also done with their families.  The book could also be used to learn new facts about the Mexican culture.  In fact, at the end of the book the author explains the way Latina women use rebozos.  I think this book is most appropriate for first through third grade. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment